It might be a common theme for jokes, but really, how many workers does it take to change a light bulb? Let’s make no mistake about it, having substandard lighting in your factory or warehouse is a potential danger for your employees. A dark or dimly lit workspace produces large shadowy areas and dark spots and a dimming light that doesn’t uniformly illuminate the entire work area increases the chance of accidents and production mistakes, so getting the lighting restored to its full power rapidly, is essential.
Today, many factories and production plants have very high level ceilings, so the task of changing the light bulb when it fails, isn’t as simple as climbing up a step ladder and swapping it. Not only do you need to reach the light fitting but importantly, you need to do it safely. For companies that own or hire a fork lift truck, often the safest and most cost effective way to carry out such jobs is by using a piece of equipment called an access safety platform. Basic maintenance may only be carried out infrequently but access at high level areas for storage, cleaning and stocking purposes make owning your own access safety platform an investment worthy of consideration and one which will likely pay for itself surprisingly quickly.
When choosing an access safety platform, there are some design features that you should look for:
- First make sure it has been manufactured in accordance with HSE document PM28 3rd edition.
- Large enough to accommodate 2 people as there may be times when a single person is unable to complete the job alone.
- Safety guard between platform and fork lift pillar that fully protects the worker on the platform.
- Easy draining, anti-slip floor for when used outside.
- Safety harness attachment points.
- Secure retaining system between platform base and forks to prevent platform from sliding off.
- Automatic locking gate.
- Hardwearing, corrosion resistant finish.
Design features that you may desire:
- Tool tray.
- Safety harness.
Depending on requirements, you might also want to consider other types of platforms. One that can be lifted by crane, an extended height platform which can add an additional 100cm to the safe work height or if space is at a premium, a foldable platform for easy storage between jobs.
So stop and think. Don’t take unnecessary risks - keep your workforce safe!