We all know that it doesn’t take much for an organised and tidy stockroom to quickly become a mess. When things get busy, it’s sometimes easier to cut corners and go back later – however, leaving stock, empty cardboard boxes, packaging and numerous other items lying around can seriously impact on the efficiency and safety of your storage area.
If this is happening on a regular basis, perhaps it’s time to assess your current storage requirements and make any necessary changes to improve your business.
A good way to keep your stockroom spic and span:
- Start by removing everything from your storeroom, taking care to batch similar products together as you go.
- Assess your shelving, racking and storage boxes to decide if anything new is required.
- Use this opportunity to thoroughly clean the stockroom whilst empty.
Once the storeroom has been cleaned and shelving requirements assessed:
- Store smaller items together in plastic storage boxes or containers.
- Make sure to label everything clearly.
- Designate specific areas for groups of products, storing related products within easy reach of each other.
- Popular products should be close to hand. Less favoured items can be stored away in less accessible areas.
- Keep an area clear for the temporary storage of incoming stock.
- Keep an inventory sheet to help staff locate items quickly and easily.
Keeping storerooms tidy, could lead to higher productivity with less time spent on searching for items and over-ordering of misplaced stock.
For regular Action Handling updates, follow us on Facebook and Twitter, Sign up to our monthly newsletter for company news and information.